Powered By Blogger

Melbourne Weather

The Age (Melbourne's Daily Newspaper)

Strike a Pose

Strike a Pose
Melbourne Look

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week 1




Wow, what an amazing week so far. I left Brisbane last Saturday morning, and with a short stopover with my friends in Maryvale, a very loaded Pippa (my Prius) and I started on our long trek to Melbourne.




My transfer with work as very rapid - 12 days in fact. This sounds OK, but I had to relocate my life in this time - including travelling to Melbourne to look at rental properties. This was a journey in itself. I can quite safely say that price, picture and descriptions are very creative. After 12 visits, I found my home. Luckily the Real Estate Agent was very understanding and let me sign the lease.




So I travelled all day Saturday, with a very short stop for lunch and arrived in to Parkes (NSW) at about 6pm EDST. I did see the "dish" as I was zipping down the highway - however I was far more excited about the thought of a hot shower! 12 hours cramped in my little car was almost too much to bear! She was doing me proud however, running at an average of 4.2 litres per 100km. Almost cheaper than flying!




So I arrived at my hotel, very modern for Parkes I might say, and found myself checking in at the same time as a couple of lovely boys from Sydney. The hotel receptionist was a little "old school" and couldn't understand why 2 guys would want one bed! Funny! We decided we would catch up for drinkies after dinner. Well, I didn't end up going to bed until 1130pm - a very long day. The boys where lovely, I hope to keep in contact with them in the future.




Sunday morning was meant to be an early departure, but due to my post partum drinkies, I didn't even wake up until 8.30! Eek! Straight back into Pippa and off we went for Victoria! The rest of the day was a little boring, but arrived in windy Melbourne at about 5pm - very tired!




OK, this is where I get a little creative with wording! As my lease was not due to start at my new place until the 1st of April, and I was starting work on the 23rd of March - I had to organise accomodation in Melbourne for the 10 nights. This is all over the period where 3 major events where being hosted in Melbourne. As my budget was tight, I decided on a nice sounding place in Footscray. Oops. First mistake. So I checked into my motel, then thoroughly cleaned it with bleach and started the oil burner!




The Motel was probably built in the 50's and considered very modern at that time. Shame that nothing has been done to it since (with the exception of adding reverse cycle airconditioning). My bathroom came with extra thick mould - at no extra cost! 6 coats of Home Brand bleach certainly showed it who was boss! On the upside, I managed to get most of my valuables from the car into the room for storage. My front door even came with a safety chain - although I sometimes dont feel safe..........




Big sleep on Sunday night. Got my computer hooked up first and then died. At least the bed is comfy!




I have tomorrow to explore and work out public transport before starting training in the city on Tuesday. Its all going to fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment